Lost and Found Pets
What to do when your pet is lost:
Come to FCHS with a photo of your pet and file a Lost Pet Report so we can be on the lookout for your dog or cat. Our staff makes every effort to look for a lost pet among those brought to our shelter, but the best thing to do is visit the shelter frequently until your pet is found.
If you cannot immediately come to the shelter, fill out our online Lost Pet Report. Please include a recent photo of your pet. As soon as you are available, come to our shelter to look for your pet. We cannot guarantee that a Lost Pet Report will have enough information to positively identify your pet among the many in our care.
To help find your lost pet there are many things you can do:
- Bring two “Lost Pet” posters with clear photos to post at our shelter. While you are here, look for your pet – it can be difficult for staff to identify your brown tabby cat in a shelter full of brown tabbies.
- File a Lost Pet Report with us and attach the “Lost Pet” poster for our records.
- Check with neighbors, UPS or postal carriers, and any businesses close by the area.
- Walk around your neighborhood calling your pet’s name.
- Check with your police department or animal control.
- Contact your veterinarian about your lost pet.
- Post ‘Lost Pet” posters in the area where your pet was last seen. Be sure to take posters down when your pet is found.
- Post your lost pet notice and photo on Franklin County Missouri Lost and Found Pets at https://www.facebook.com/groups/625075577555499/, Missouri Lost and Found Paws https://www.facebook.com/missourilostfoundpaws/, Report and Search Lost and Found Pets | Petco Love Lost, and pawboost.com. If your neighborhood participates with Nextdoor, post on your group.
- If your pet has microchip Identification, contact the company and report your pet as lost.
- Call your radio station and ask if they will announce a lost pet report.
- If you have lost a cat, put its litter box outside overnight.
- Come to the shelter frequently to check for your pet.
- Notify us when your pet is found.
What to do when you find a stray pet:
If you find a stray cat or dog, check for an ID tag and try to locate the pet’s owner. Talk to neighbors and check on Franklin County Missouri Lost and Found Pets at https://www.facebook.com/groups/625075577555499/ , Missouri Lost and Found Paws https://www.facebook.com/missourilostfoundpaws/, Report and Search Lost and Found Pets | Petco Love Lost and pawboost.com. If your neighborhood participates with Nextdoor, post on your group. File a Found Pet Report with FCHS. We will determine if anyone has reported the pet lost. Have the pet scanned for a microchip. This can be done by most veterinarians, police departments, and FCHS.
If you are unable to locate the owner or find a new home for the animal, contact us to arrange an intake appointment. You may call 636-583-4300 during our business hours or email email@example.com to arrange an appointment.
We do not accept feral cats brought to our shelter in a trap. Feral cats are not adoptable as pets. We may be able to connect you with volunteers willing to facilitate trap, neuter, and return of feral cats to their environment.
What to do if you find a stray kitten or kittens (click to enlarge)